Friday, May 15, 2009

Up and Adam?

I just realized that whenever I say "up and at 'em!" it sounds like I'm saying "Up and Adam." I'd like to think its a new englandy thing to say, but I think it may just be another sarah'ism.

I'm wondering how late I'll sleep, when I actually don't have any plans, homework, or lectures to go to! My internal body clock is really always on time, even on the weekend. Sometimes thats a good thing, but not so much when I want to sleep in!

This morning I was happy to have it fully functioning though, because I wanted an early start to my day. For the next 4 days, I'll be glued to my chair studying. Well, not entirely glued. I think working out is always essential, even if it's just a brief walk or two throughout the day. Even a 5-10 minute stretching break is a much needed rest!

Back to breakfast. I haven't been feeling oatmeal lately, which is really strange for me. Maybe it has something to do with the nice, sunny weather? 70 degrees is perfect for lighter fare...I think I should plan a smoothie soon! :)

This morning I had 2 honey oat kashi waffles, my fave flavor. I love, love these for a nice change from oats or regular ol' toast! Although I seem to remember the brand LifeStream having a whole wheat flavor that used to be my ultimate favorite, but I can't find them anymore? *sad* These kashi ones are almost as good though, and I topped mine with a T. of peanut butter and the other with a slice of 2% american cheese. The orange on the side was delish!

Fast forward an hour. My breakfast had no staying power!!! Strange, huh? You'd think with the fat and protein I'd have been good to go. But my appetite this morning was a crazy one. So I added in some scrambled eggs to my morning mix, along with a handful of cherry tomatoes.

An iced coffee with 1/2 c. soy came not too long after because this week of studying for finals calls for desperate measure! ;)

My mom teases me that I have my one'sies, two'sies, and three'sies in the morning. It's true, I'm a very big morning eater. :) This morning especially. I had this about an hour before going for a very fast 2-mile run. I wanted a short run that wouldn't make me too tired to go for a walk later with mom and one that would be just enough to get me good and sweaty. Worked like a charm! :)

This was a tasty bowl of yogurt topped with 2 T. of the best granola ever and a small handful of raisins.

I can't believe how warm the sun is getting! When did summer roll around? The temperature still says its spring, but the sun is screaming that its summer. Love it! All I wanted was a nice big salad, so I did a repeat of last night's supper. How original! :) This time I toasted the bread, which was a special touch, and instead of topping it with butter, I just sort of tore pieces off and used it as a base for my chicken and salsa. Yum, yum, yum...

Pear in a blanket...not to be confused with piggie in a blanket. ;)

Immediately after lunch, mom and I went for a 3-mile walk that turned into a 5-mile walk around the block! It was too nice out to turn around. Next time we do the long walk, we're bringing some money to stop at the ice cream shop down the street. :)

Matthew bought this sunflower seed butter from TJ's, and I've been eyeing it for the past several days now. He's never touched my beloved almond butter, so I knew I should respect his sunflower butter too. But I was so week! Just one tablespoon maybe?

The ingredients were pretty simple...sugar was added in the form of evaporated cane juice which is what gives it that characteristic sweetness (yes, I did try a lick by this point!)

And finally I gave in and had a tablespoon of it on a banana. So sweet and delicious. It was almost desserty but salty at the same time. I think I might already be addicted? I do, admittedly, have a problem when it comes to nut butters.

And, another iced coffee. I never drink two caffeine drinks in a day, and I was going more for taste then any "pep me up" effects. I think I'm going to need to start buying decaf maybe? This one was made with my favorite mix of 1 c. coffee, 1/2 c. milk, and a tsp of sugar. Perfect every time. Especially when made with whole foods beans. :)


This bowl of whiteness was as boring as it looks. I kind of felt like munching on something because studying does that to a person! And I used to love munchin' on raw cauliflower, but for some reason I'm just not that into it anymore. I should have steamed it just slightly so it was still a lil' crunchy and added in some other veggies for color.

Holy Potato! For supper I had a nice big potato topped with about 1/2 c. black beans, salsa, cheese and 1/4 of a very overripe avocado! And then continued to grind some black pepper on top. Potatoes are one of those poor vegetables that gets such a bad rap! Don't judge a veggie by its color, even when they're pure white! This bad boy is still loaded with fiber (if you eat the peel!), vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin C, etc. And when you top it with the right stuff, you get a wholesome, quick and easy, nutritious meal that will keep you feeling full! :)

I broke into the freezer and had a frozen chocolate chip cookie with a pat of peanut butter for dessert. I love frozen cookies! :)

This was Matthew's dessert. Unfortanetly I didn't snap the picture until after he had already eaten most of it, but just picture this bowl heaping with almonds and walnuts, all doused over in molasses! Is that a guy thing? Or just a "molasses is good on everything" thing?

I'd like to say I didn't procastinate at all today, but that just didn't happen. I did study for about 3-1/2 hrs. on food microbiology though, and chemistry got about 1 hr. or so of my undivided attention. It being Friday night and all, the last thing I want to do is zone in on carboxylic acids and aromatic compounds! But a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. And next weekend I'll have no plans but a shopping trip with Nicole.

Back to focusing! :) Happy weekend, I'll see you Monday! :)

Edited to Add My Bedtime Snack...kashi heart to heart with soy. Delish!
Exercise: 5-mile leisure walk and a very brisk 2-mile run. This is so not me, but for some reason, I've been enjoying these speed runs lately. I try not to do them more then once a week, but this was my second time this week. Usually I enjoy the longer, slower paced runs, where I kind of zone out. But I'm glad to see myself enjoying the speed a little. I've been feeling super strong and really energetic...lovin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment